Sunday, July 5, 2009

Past, Present, and Future.

There was a time when not everything had been done already.

In this magical time filmmakers didn't seem very afraid to take risks. Great art was made and devout fans followed. Then somewhere along the line movies started to repeat themselves and (most) filmmakers lost their balls.

And it seems the horror genre is still recovering from it.

I feel a large part of problem is the total lack of faith directors/actors/producers have in horror. I've herd it many times: "Horror movies are the lowest form on entertainment.", "I'm a real actor so I don't do horror films.", "Horror films never have a real plot" and so on...

I've never been entirely sure where this mentality comes from. Horror films, historically, make good money. In fact it's one of the only genres of film that appreciates in value over time. Think about it: How many times have you seen a NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD lunch box, a Freddy action figure, or a SUSPIRIA t-shirt and bought it? I rest my case.
Horror is also one of the genres where you can be in one film for ten minutes, as child, and twenty years latter still sell your autographs at a conventions. - And those snarky little comets about Horror movies never having a plot? Well I can't even begin to list all the goddamn films that prove those statements wrong.

However, with all that being said, we as horror advocates have made it very easy for people to draw critical opinions in the last ten years. I sometimes feel that even those who love horror don't respect it enough to make a descent movie. I'm not going to get into name calling here but I think those certain titles are easy enough to find.

If you know you've made a pile of shit, why do you release it? Why not just bury it in the back yard and start over? You're not doing anyone any favors, including yourself, by putting out a terrible movie. -And for the record I'm not bashing the b-movies or the trash films .... I'm referring to the unwatchable garbage floating around out there.

Here's a thought: How about we all try our best to put out GOOD and CREATIVE art? Let's have some respect for the horror film! There's no reason we can't see a "second coming". Not all the good ideas have been taken and there's still time to grow a pair!

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Xo
Nos



No comments:

Post a Comment