Thursday, February 5, 2009

Whatever happened to Saturday night?

An all time favorite film of mine is THE ROCKEY HORROR PICTURE SHOW......
 I grew up in a very small town with even smaller minded people. Those of us who thought outside the box where offered little escapism.  ROCKEY HORROR was a big part of our lives. We watched it in each others homes, on 13 inch screens, off of worn in VHS tapes.

I remember one viewing at my house ended with a inspired 16 year old boy racing upstairs to dress in my clothing and heels. This movie made us feel safe. It made us feel free. That's hard to do in "village" of around 1,500 people. I had always heard about the viewing in theatres. People dressing up, throwing things about ... it sounded amazing.

Now I know the midnight showings once played a huge part in films original success. But when I finally lived in a bigger city, that had an organized showing, it all felt a little past it's expiration date.First of all you personally couldn't dress like any of the characters ... that right was reserved for the "cast". They literally yelled at people dressed like Frank-N-Furter and Rockey. Then the stellar "cast" recited lines like they where saying prayers in a church. Everything was very orderly and stiff.  - Two words that should never come to mind regarding this film.

I came away feeling the magic was lost. Where was freedom? The craziness? The creepy sex in the corner? Not at that show. 

*sigh*

I've never gone back to a showing since. I'm sure there are way better ones out there, I just don't think this kind of thing does it for me. Maybe I respect the movie too much. THE ROCKEY HORROR PICTURE SHOW is magic. Whenever I've had a bad day, the soundtrack makes me feel better. I still enjoy watching it with a group of friends at home and it still inspires certain male friends to dig threw my closet. That's how it should be enjoyed. That's what it was made for. 

STAY DEAD !
Nos

No comments:

Post a Comment