Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Vampire's Assistant *review*

Greetings SCARS readers!

So instead of going to watch SAW VI this weekend, I opted for the movie version of one my favorite books.

The CIRQUE DE FREAK 12 book series has always been a bit underrated. It's one of the more original Vampire stories out there and I personal enjoy it even more than *gasp* Harry Potter. I was very excited to see it was gonna be made into a movie but worried on how they would approach it.

The story is odd in that it's geared toward the 12-15 year old crowd, yet it doesn't really deal with the normal clichés associated with the genre. Also the lead Vampire, Mr. Crepsley, is not an
easy character to peg and would require just the right actor. - And as much as John C. Reilly cracks
me up, Vampire, is not something that immediately comes to mind when I think of him.

Yet he and the rest of the movie pleasantly surprised me!

Unfortunately Universal Studio had an obvious lack of faith when it came to this movie ...
opening weekend and it was only housed in one theater. I also felt that I was at an advantage
having already read the whole series. The movie moved pretty fast and I think would be hard
to follow if you didn't know the story going in. I know they had to condense because there's
no way you could make ALL 12 books ... but the quality suffers a bit from the jump cuts.
(Maybe this will be fixed when it hits DVD.) The film is shot beautifully and John C.
Reilly makes an AMAZING Mr.Crepsley. Fans of book series have much to be happy about!

But I'm not sure if it's going to take off .... which is sad because I think there's a lot that could
be done with it.

:(

Next week I shall indulge in SAW VI and report back.

STAY DEAD

No comments:

Post a Comment